Sunday, October 09, 2005

Not quite poetry after reading Principles of Neuroscience for 4 hours

"We are all alone together. Hope and bones are what holds us up. "

Not-quite-poetry after reading "Principles of Neuroscience" for 4 hours


The books tell me that my memories and imagination are but a collection
of molecules and nuclei and white matter tracks,
that everything I hold dear are but the devious work
of dopamine and receptors and secondary signalling proteins.

I refuse to believe that neuroscience explains the grace I feel
In the prescence of a stranger's kindness,
Or the utter awe I feel watching the priest stop the Homily
to invite a homeless woman standing on the steps into the church,
or the strange combination of joy and grief
I feel when alone at night,
suddenly rediscovering a lost memory
of the loved one whom I loved and lost long ago.

4 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

I think it is very important that any Dr. weigh both the spiritual aspects of being a human with the scientific building blocks of life...being able to balance them will make you a better Dr. and a better person.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so beautifully put. I am bookmarking you

6:39 AM  
Blogger define_me said...

Being a neuroscience student, I had a completely different approach to the book; however, your reaction is quite common than you think. The only difference is I experienced this within the first 2 years of my undergrad life. By my 3rd year, when I had this as my text, I read it with the appreciation of the raw science. I'm just curious....you are referring to the Principles of Neural Science by Kendall et al. right?

8:50 PM  
Blogger Southernspeak4 said...

Now, this is encouraging to see...a scientist with a spiritual bend. Things don't come in boxes with neat little labels and explanations like we'd like, as hard as we try to do so...and that's part of the fun!

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home