Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Crushing tomatoes with bare hands

I'd be wary of anyone who keeps an extremely organized desk, or color coded notes, or anyone who keep his hands clean while cooking.

He’s probably boring and sterile. In life and in bed.

I’m a mess. Organizing is a fate worse than death. I can’t operate filing cabinets and keyboard covers and label makers and linen cabinets. I crush tomatoes with my bare hands, pulling the pulp into strips. Always leave the seeds in - viscous and lovely. There is no mixing spoon unlicked in my kitchen.

I abhor college ruled paper. Lines constrain me. I must scribble: harmless apples, tennis shoes, trotting horses, and even schizophrenic faces. (Never anything R rated in my sketchbook though).

Since when did we become so clean and organized? Since when did our lives become Ikea catalogs, with a holder and label and color, coordinated, friction-protection cap for every single, fucking thing? We've become sterile. Every 15 minutes in the day has a designated purpose. What happened to getting your hands dirty, singing off key on the streets, and letting a breath out with your belly and boobs roll and all?

Dig your hand into life, and let the juices and pulp seep through your fingers. Try it. You might just enjoy it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem.

I have always been completely jealous of the people who can maintain a neat desk or apartment. As hard as I try, I am never able to keep anything organized. Eventually, I invariably lose something in the disorder and have spend some time searching the chaos to find what I have misplaced.

Now the color coded note people are a completely different story. I think that is mostly done by people who are in over their heads in classes.

Many years ago, I once meet a girl who placed labels on her shelves to designate where everything belonged. I thought that was a bit over the top.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This notion holds the same weight as the age-old fallacy that physical beauty equates to virtue. Don't judge a book by its cover, or a person by her desk. Messy people can be lackluster, organized people passionate: it ain't the state of things on the surface, but what's going on inside.

Now, what's the real issue here? (wink wink)

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Second Law of Thermodynamics: Everything tends towards chaos. Thus, disorganized is good.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Thus, disorganized is good."
Not quite true. When the universe does eventually reach chaos, it becomes complete homogenous, and no more free energy can be extracted. At that point, life or even interesting arrangements of atoms can no longer exist...

Howver, to reduce one's local entropy, one has to increase the global entropy. Thus hastening this bleak eventuality...

2:27 PM  
Blogger aer suzuki said...

this is a good philosophy. i rolled in here on a search for photoblogs, so i arrived sort of by accident and thought i'd comment. allright, have a good life.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home